Each and every one of us have those items that we can’t miss to carry on a daily basis. Such items include keys, phone, wallet, and a knife. But did you know that a flashlight is one of the essential EDC items that you should have? Most of the time, people take flashlights for granted until they are in need of them. A flashlight can help you when there is a blackout, when you come home late, or when you need to change your car tire at night. Although, It is not easy to find the best edc flashlight for the money!
Having a flashlight can improve survivability in different situations and assist you with your day-to-day lighting needs. Whether it is a hooligan waiting for you down the garage or an attacker trying to ambush you; the everyday carry flashlight will single them out quickly and assist you to call for help or disorient them. So, what is the best edc flashlight of 2018?
Top 10 EDC Flashlight comparison
Currently, there are so many EDC flashlights on the market. This can be so confusing and that’s why we have created this review to help people like you find the best EDC flashlight for your daily use. Before you select a flashlight, there are a number of things that you ought to know. Flashlights vary in construction, performance, brightness, runtime, and versatility. Choosing a reliable flashlight for your daily use can save you from danger.
Here are some of the best EDC flashlight on the market:
Olight S1 Baton EDC Flashlight
The Olight S1 Baton has become a favorite EDC flashlight over the years due to its compact design and pocket-friendly size. With a maximum Lumen of 500, this flashlight can light your darkroom or path without any problem. It has a Cree XM-L2 CW LED and a PMMA TIR lens with a 90% light transmittance rate. These allow it to provide bright white light. Press the easy to use button to switch on the light and cycle through the 3 light modes and 2 special modes.
- Provides bright light with a maximum of 500 Lumens
- 3 light modes and 2 special modes for a wide range of uses
- Pocket clip for attaching to the pocket
- Firm grip for easy handling
- Has a long runtime as it runs on 1x CR123A battery
- Sturdy construction with anti-scratch finish
- Lightweight and compact design
- It is very small for a medium size hand
- It doesn’t come with a battery
Surefire Defender Series Flashlight
With its high-output of 300 Lumens, the Surefire defender is an ideal light for your daily lighting needs. It has an ergonomic tactical tail cap for quick access to maximum output in emergency situations. The flashlight is powered by the high-energy CR123A battery that gives it a long run time. When attacked, you can use the strike bezel to hit the attacker. Additionally, the revolutionary pocket clip enables you to attach the flashlight in any direction.
- Dual tail cap click switch for easy operation
- Sturdily constructed with an aerospace aluminum body
- A great defensive weapon with strike bezel
- Compact design for easy storage
- Weatherproof flashlight
- The TIR lens produces a focused beam
- A bit costly when compared to other EDC lights
Fenix PD25 LED Tactical Flashlight
Offered by one of the most trusted brands on the market, Fenix pd25 is a great flashlight for outdoor lovers. The 550 Lumen flashlight produces a very powerful beam of light that reaches up to 130 meters. It is powered by one 16340 rechargeable Li-ion battery or 3V CR123A lithium batteries. The flashlight can last for 100 hrs on low mode, which is amazing for such a light. Whether it’s raining or not, the flashlight will still function as it is rated as IPX8 waterproof. Despite these excellent features, this EDC flashlight weighs less and can be kept with much ease.
- Uses Cree XP-L (V5) LED with a lifespan of 50, 000 hours
- Produces bright light with a maximum of 550 Lumens
- It has a low-voltage warning function to let you know when to change the battery
- This light has an anti-roll design that prevents the flashlight to roll when it falls
- It is versatile as it offers 5 light modes and strobe mode
- It accidentally lights on in the pocket
Streamlight 88061 ProTac LED Flashlight
If you want an EDC flashlight for camping or hiking, the Streamlight 88061 will be a great fit for you. Equipped with a 3 watt super high influx LED with 20, 000 hrs lifespan; you will get quality and interrupted light for 6.75 continuous hours. It is also powered by the lightweight CR123A batteries and has a two-way clip for easy attachment to the belt or pocket. The flashlight is safe to use as it is RoHS compliant and meets applicable European Community Directives.
- Lightweight and portable
- Durable construction
- 3 light modes for versatile use
- Two-way pocket clip for easy storage
- Easy to operate
- Waterproof with an IPX7 rating
- Poorly made switch that spoils after a short period. Use it carefully.
Lumintop 550 Lumen Pocket-size Flashlight
The Lumintop pocket-size flashlight uses Cree XP-L HD LED with a lifespan of 50, 000 hrs. The aircraft-grade aluminum alloy is a sturdy material and lightweight as well. Using this 550 Lumen flashlight is very easy with just one hand. Also, you can cycle through the 3 light modes that it comes with for different uses. Since the flashlight is impact resistant, accidental droppings will not render it useless as it will still function well. Utilize the flashlight as you go out hunting, hiking, or to search for the lost keys in the yard.
- It is waterproof thus suitable for different weather conditions
- Durable construction with the aircraft-grade aluminum
- Impact resistant and corrosion free
- Portable and lightweight flashlight
- Three output modes for different uses
- Firm grip for easy handling
- 5 years warranty
- Many users complained that the flashlight is not as bright as advertised.
ThruNite TN12 2016 EDC Flashlight
Made with the latest Cree XP-L V6 LED technology, the ThruNite TN12 EDC flashlight is the brightest flashlight in this list. It produces a maximum output of 1100 Lumens on its one 18650 rechargeable battery. This is the perfect flashlight for your outdoor needs as it offers 6 light modes. The modes are the firefly, low, medium, high, turbo, and strobe modes. The upgraded stainless steel switch is easy to use and the thick head makes the light to be more impact resistant.
- Durable aluminum construction
- Pocket clip and lanyard for easy storage
- Compact and lightweight EDC flashlight
- Centralized LED for a focused beam
- Extremely bright light with a maximum of 1100 Lumens
- Powered by the energy-efficient 18650 batteries for a longer runtime
- 6 light modes for different uses
- It is a somehow bigger and heavier than most EDC flashlights
- It is a bit costly
Nitecore MT1A Mini LED Flashlight
Built for everyday use, the Nitecore MT1A is a flashlight that everyone should have. It is small and lightweight, making it easy to keep. Despite its subcompact design, the MT1A mini flashlight offers the user with 5 light modes, a strobe, and SOS mode. Slip it easily in your pockets, purse, or backpack. It is also sturdily constructed to withstand tough conditions like water, impact, and corrosion. Powered by 1 AA battery, this is the perfect flashlight for your daily lighting needs.
- Easy to operate with the convenient two-mode interface
- Has an extra Lumen tactical keychain light
- A versatile flashlight with 5 brightness levels to select from
- Water and impact resistant
- Anti-roll design that prevents rolling when dropped accidentally
- High-quality construction with the aero-grade aluminum alloy
- It is not very bright with a maximum of 180 Lumens
Klarus Mi7 EDC Flashlight
If you are looking for a very durable and bright EDC tactical light, then this is the flashlight for you. Klarus is known for its sturdy and versatile flashlights. The Klarus Mi7 maybe just a small flashlight, but it still delivers in tough conditions. It is the perfect EDC light for your hunting, camping, hiking, fishing or rescue missions. Made of sturdy aerospace-grade aluminum, this flashlight is both impact and water resistant. Switch the flashlight to the lock-out mode and slip it in the pocket. You will not have any accidental activation.
- Ergonomic design
- Lightweight and portable
- One-touch access to different light modes
- Over-discharge protection
- Scratch resistant
- Waterproof and impact resistant
- Extremely bright light with a maximum of 700 Lumens
- Slightly costly
Coast G19 LED Flashlight
In addition to their line of quality knives, flashlights, and multi-tools; Coast offers a lifetime warranty on all of its products. The Coast G19 LED flashlight is offered at a very affordable price. It is also compact and lightweight, making it suitable for everyday use. Even though it is small, the G19 inspection light provides an excellent illumination that covers up to 20 meters. In addition, it can run for 2 hrs 30 minutes. The firm grip allows you to hold it firmly even in wet conditions. Put it in your front pocket or attach it to your belt using the clip.
- Simple and compact design
- Portable and lightweight
- Impact and water resistant
- Firm grip for easy use
- Coast lifetime warranty
- It’s very small and not very good for medium hands
- Not the brightest light to have on a dark night
GearLight LED S1000 Tactical Flashlight
At such a great price, you will get two GearLight EDC flashlights in one bundle. Buy the flashlight bundle as a present for your son who loves outdoor activities. This handheld flashlight might be cheap, but it is very powerful. It comes with 5 light modes for different uses. The S1000 light runs on 3x AAA batteries or a single 18650 rechargeable battery. If you are out camping and want a very bright light, zoom it in for a spotlight or out for a flood beam. Moreover, it will defy all weather conditions be it rain or dust. This is because it is weather resistant. The indestructible LED bulb will provide you with years of use.
- Strong, military-grade aluminum body
- Weather and shock resistant
- 5 light modes for different purposes
- It has a tactical tail switch for easy one-handed operation
- Anti-roll design to prevent rolling when it falls accidentally
- Lightweight and compact design
- Very affordable
- Not as bright as advertised
- Cycling through the different modes is a bit challenging
Features to look for in the best EDC Flashlights
Type of bulb
– before the LED bulb was discovered, most flashlights used the incandescent bulb. Today, many flashlights with EDC included usually use LED (light emitting diode) bulbs. These are preferred over incandescent bulbs because they provide greater efficiency, greater brightness, better battery consumption, and are indestructible.
– the number of Lumens a flashlight has determines how bright your light will be. Normally, everyday carry flashlights come with Lumens of between 50 and 1000. Depending on what you want to use the flashlight for, you can either go for a powerful or less powerful light. For instance, if you want a light for home use, a 50 to 200 Lumen flashlight will be ideal. But if you want an EDC for outdoor use, then you should consider a light with at least 400 Lumens or more.
– how long do you intend to use the flashlight? Is it just for some few hours or for the entire night? The type of battery your flashlight uses will determine how long the flashlight will last. A good number of EDC flashlights are powered by AA, AAA, or CR123A batteries. AA and AAA batteries are very easy to find and cheap, too. CR123A batteries are not easy to find but provide the longest run time. They are also lighter when compared to AA batteries.
– there is a high chance that you will have to use your flashlight in extreme weather conditions like when it’s raining. A good flashlight should be in a position to offer you with light even when the conditions are not favorable. For this reason, make sure that you check the water resistance rating of the flashlight. Most of them are rated using the IPX code. It can be IPX4, IPX7 or IPX8 waterproof rating.
– since you will be carrying the flashlights every day; it is prone to fall, crash, or get some knocks. So, having a quality and sturdily made flashlight will resist breaking or spoiling on impact. That’s why you should consider buying a flashlight built of metal instead of plastic. As a result, you will end up using the flashlight for a very long period of time.
Size of the flashlight
– the aim of EDC is to have a flashlight that can provide you with light, but at the same time it shouldn’t be a burden to carry. Hence, you will need a flashlight that is less than 4-inches long and it should be light. This means that you will have to sacrifice on things like runtime and brightness. The smaller the light, the less powerful it becomes. Though, there are some exceptional small, everyday carry flashlights. In addition, a short light will be easy to slip in your pocket than a longer one.
Type of switch
– no one wants a flashlight that takes them ages to switch on. Before you buy a flashlight, ensure that it is easy to operate. A one-handed operation light is the best, especially if you need it in an emergency scenario. Also, the switch should not turn on itself when put in the pocket. This will drain your battery for nothing.
– I wouldn’t want to weigh down my pocket with a heavy flashlight. Therefore, it is crucial that you consider the weight of the flashlight before buying. For instance, aluminum and titanium flashlights are lighter than steel flashlights. Also, use CR123A batteries as they are lighter.
Not every EDC flashlight that you see out there is worth having. First, you need to know what features you desire the most and the purpose of the flashlight. Some are built for tactical use, while others are just good for simple lighting needs. Also, there are those that offer stunning brightness, and others are known for their versatility. Whatever the case, you should ensure that you spend your cash on a flashlight that will be reliable and deliver when you need it to. In the above list, we have offered you with flashlights that are sturdily built, powerful, and easy to carry.